Translate

Thursday, March 12, 2009

That's what Friends are For

It’s amazing to me how “friends” seem to wander in and out of our lives. I think this is okay. Sometimes, we have friends that last a life time. Sometimes, we have friends that last a week. I am okay with this. I understand the concept of friendship. We cannot talk to people all the time. We are busy adults. We are not 15 anymore and friendship means something more.

However, there are those so-called “friends” that are more like “leaches”. They hang on to us when the ride is good, when we are on top, when things are going are great. They make sure that you know that they are your friend by making comments like “you know I’m here”, but they are not the ones calling. Yet, when things were good, they were the ones calling you. They were the ones texting and leaving messages on the machine. Real friends don’t even have to say those words because we already know they are there because regardless of the situation that you are in, they call, they care.

It always makes me giggle when this happens because I understand that people come and go in our lives. They serve the purpose that they serve and that is ok. I understand that there are people that feed off others and really do not understand the concept of friendship at all. As long as you are picking up the tab, they are your friends. When you can’t pick up the tab, they move to the next table.

I understand that there are those that will be there forever. We do not have to speak every day. We have grown up; and, we understand the plight of life, the importance of friendship, and the meaning of love. Hats off to friendship in all its stages.


Copyright ©Lucy Tamajon 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment