Translate

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Love Letters

Recently we saw a movie where the topic of love letters came up. One of the characters was reading a book composed of love letters written by “famous” men to their beloved. Of course, we asked, “Have we ever gotten a love letter?”

Some of my friends automatically said, “yes, I think so, in High School.” Or, “I must have.”; Or, “I’m sure I have.” Naturally, I thought about it. Had I? I couldn’t remember. Now, I know I’ve gotten cards on Valentine’s day, but a “love letter?” I could not recall and if it was not memorable then it did not happen.

The art of letter writing is all but a myth. We now have texts and e-mails. How sad. Then I thought some more, of course. Would a text or an e-mail qualify as a “love letter?” I don’t think so. How could it? How romantic or how much emotions can one pour into a text? You can’t. Perhaps, an e-mail.

That led me to my next thought, “What was the most romantic and memorable thing a man had ever done?” Thankfully, there was a spark. I had a boyfriend in high school who every month on the 18th of the month would give me a single red rose. He did this so that I would never forget the day we started going out. For over a year and a half come rain or high water, where ever I was, he would stroll in holding a red rose. I did not think it romantic at the time. I thought it was “cute”. However, he succeeded. To this day, I remember.

Romance to men is trivial; to women essential. Romance makes our eyes sparkle and our faces light up. Every single time I saw him walk in holding that rose, I could only smile. “You light up.” He would say. “You are so silly,” was my response; but, he loved me and he wanted me to know it.

If you are wondering who he is, cannot say. We are still friends; we still talk; he is married and has a beautiful family; and, yes, on occasion tells me, “I still love you.” My response, “you are so silly.”

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment