Translate

Friday, March 13, 2009

The First Note I Ever Wrote


All this chit chat about love notes, love letters, and my writing got me thinking. I know! Shocking, me thinking! I remembered the very first note I wrote which happened to be a “love” note.



I was six. His name was Luis (I'll leave last name out of note to protect the innocent)> We were all in the same class; first grade, Robert Waters School. He was funny, the class clown, and cute. Always made the class laugh, well, he made me laugh. Maybe, I was the only little girl laughing; but, I liked him.
So, I did what any six year old “sassy” little girl would do. I sat down, pulled out my crayons, some paper, and wrote my first “love note”. I remember it. It had a big red heart on it with little hearts all around it, and I boldly announced, “Lucy and Luis – Love 4 ever”. There. I was quite satisfied. I folded my note and tucked safely away in my book bag. The plan was to give it to him the next day.



The next morning, I was nervous, my heart was beating fast. What would he say? Would he like me? I fixed my pig tails, adjusted my glasses, ate my fruit loops, and I was ready to go! As I went to get my book back, I came to an abrupt halt. There in front of me, holding the school bag in her hand, and snooping as no one else can, was my mother! In her hands, the note! The horror; I flashed my smile.

Let me elaborate, my Cuban mother. Who proceeded to tell me how little girls never did such a thing! It was like a scene from Charlie Brown when the teacher is talking.. waah…waahh.. waahh. What the heck did I know? He was cute. I had something to tell him. What was the big deal? She confiscated the note. I was pissed. So, I did what I do best even at six. “Hmm.. I’ll teach her!”

Next day, I sat down, pulled out my crayons, and well, wrote note number two. This time, I had learned a lesson. I would have to keep the note away from the Gustapo. So I tucked it in my sock, put my shoe on, and walked safely to school to deliver the note. Which I did, and I knew he liked me so this note would inspire him to be extra nice to me.

However, I couldn’t understand Luis’ reaction? After, I snuck the note in his desk, and he read it; all he did was constantly pull my pig tails, poke me while I was on line, and be constantly borrowing my crayons. I just didn’t get it. I guess he just wasn’t that into me. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment