Translate

Thursday, March 5, 2009

It Just Slipped My Mind


A friend of mine has been asking me to write about some of my dating experiences. She particularly likes this one. I fail to see the humor, but hey... she laughs her head off everytime she hears the story. This one is for all the single ladies out there willing to take a chance. Cheers!


I recently met a very “nice” man at work related event for sake of the story we’ll call him “M”. When we met, it was on a business level and we obviously discussed doing business together. We actually went to a couple of workshops and networking events all work related. He seemed "normal".


One day he asked to meet me for coffee to discuss some business things. I met him and we had good conversation and actually did discuss business. He later called and asked me out to dinner. At this point, I hesitated on the invitation, but he was very non-threatening and very friendly so I agreed.


We met at a local restaurant. I noticed that the conversation starts taking a more personal tone. At this point, I have to stop and think for a second. M had told me all about his so called life, he had three children, where he lived, about his neighbors, about his work. I knew what he did for a living and about his partners. He told me about his brother-in-law and some problems he was having at work. We discussed retirement planning and protection for his family. He even told me about his dog. M did not wear a wedding ring and never mentioned a wife. I assumed he was divorced.


Then that little voice inside of me was so loud I could not ignore it, and I looked at M, and asked; “M, are you married?” He looked at me, smiled, and as if I had asked, “Did you pick up milk yesterday on your way home?” He said, “Oh, yes. I have a wife.” He grinned like that cat that just ate the canary and was caught in the act. In complete awe, I said, “Were you planning on telling me?” I waited for his response, I just could not imagine what he would say and then I was just left with my jaw hanging opened, “We were having such a nice time. It just slipped my mind.”


Exit Right. Next!

2 comments:

  1. this is the typical Mr. M.
    delightful reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. :o) No hard feelings between us, of course... we're still friends and we still work together.. why shouldn't we. It was funny and we both laughed, and moved on. :o)

    ReplyDelete