Translate

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Life Not in Vain

I was told not too long ago, “oh, you are just too nice”. “Thanks, I guess,” was my response and a flashed my smile. I’m not sure exactly why I wouldn’t be “nice”? What’s the alternative? Being mean? Being bitter? Being angry? Why? I don’t understand it.

In any event, I take being “nice” as a compliment; Lord, knows I have been called worse things.
I don’t see myself as being nice, however, I just am. One of my favorite poems is, “Not in Vain”, by Emily Dickinson. I have it taped on the front cover of my daily planner. I want to share with you because it is how I live my life on a daily basis.

Not in Vain
If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain.
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live my life in vain.

Today, smile at a stranger. Say good morning to someone that otherwise you would have ignored. Don’t cross the street when you see the “homeless bum” walking your way. Say, “thank you” to the cashier at the grocery store. Give your child an extra hug and a big sloppy kiss. Write your hubby a little love note. And, when the angry jerk on the road cuts you off, flash a smile and say “God loves even you!”

Mother Teresa said, “God does not desire us to do great things, but to do little things with great love.”



Copyright ©Lucy Tamajon 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment