Translate

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Shattered Glass

When I was about ten years old, my brother and I were playing ball in the living room. Sure enough, we broke one of our mom’s favorite vases. We stood paralyzed staring at the shattered glass. “Yikes”, I thought. “We can fix it.” I declared to my startle brother.

My mom picked up the pieces. I just watched silently as mom desperately glued the pieces of her favorite vase back together. I knew in my heart it would never be the same, it didn’t look the same, feel the same, it just wasn’t the same. But, she tried nonetheless. And, there it was. Mom’s favorite vase, glued together, chipped, with cracks, looking pitiful.

After that day, I vowed never to keep anything that was broken. No matter how hard you try, once it’s broken, it’s broken. Nothing you can do or say can change the fact.

Relationships are the same way. Once the trust in a relationship is broken, it’s gone, and nothing you do or say can change the facts. Certainly, forgiveness is essential, but forgiveness doesn’t mean that you can erase what’s done. What’s done is done. What’s said is said. And, unfortunately some things just can’t be fixed no matter how hard we try. Things can never happen the same way twice.

The best thing to do is learn, grow, and move on. Let go of what was so that you can accept what is. Realizing that hearts can shatter as easily as glass; and knowing that sometimes a new vase may be just what you need.

Copyright ©Lucy Tamajon 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment