Translate

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Wall

I was told yesterday by a good friend that I have a wall built all around me and that it is really difficult to get through. I looked at my friend in awe, "Really?" I had not realized this. I wondered about the walls we all build and the "safety" we find in our own confinement.

My friend is right. I have built quite a huge wall all around me, but there is reason for this. I trust and I love. It is what I do, what I have always done, and what I will continue to do. My actions are often misinterpreted. I am often hurt. I do not mind the pain, it is through pain that we grow emotionally and spiritually eventually moving on.

I thought about the walls that we all build around us finding comfort and safety behind its confinement. We become accustomed to the "nest" that we settle in and ignore the turmoil around us. We settle for lesser things because we are afraid of stepping outside the safety of our cell. We live and share a life with someone we do not love. We hope and pray that things will get better and when they don't we start stacking up bricks and cementing ourselves in. We cry in silence. We pray before we fade into sleep. We hope for the freedom that we can only give ourselves.

We hold the key. We have the way out. We built the wall and only we can dismantle it. It will be difficult, it will be painful. There will be fear, anguish, and tears. But, it must be done. We cannot allow ourselves to sink and die in a dungeon that we have created.

This morning as I set on another glorious day in Miami, I ask you to look around you. Take a very hard look at the walls that you have meticulously built. The darkness that confines you. I ask you to release the pain, the fear, the anguish, and all that is holding you back; and, start taking the wall apart one brick at a time. Find the light. Head to it. Be brave. For there is no greater fear than that which we have created ourselves.



Copyright ©Lucy Tamajon 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment