Translate

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Gift of the Magi

When I was little, I read a story, The Gift of the Magi. I loved everything about the message. Every year at Christmas, I would read the story over and over and over again. I always loved the message.

However, like most of us, I was blessed with money in my adult years and gift giving was never an issue. For the past 25 years of my life, I have had children, the lists to Santa have been enormous, and my tree has never lacked a gift. This Christmas, the story is a bit different.

And, when I asked the old too familiar question to my kids, "what do you want Santa to bring you this year?" The answers shocked me. I'll keep them private because they hate when I write about them. Let's just say, it was a very short list, one that Santa can handle without a second thought.

We have lost the meaning of Christmas. I understand how we get caught up in the pretty boxes and bows. How we want more, more, more when we already have so much. I understand how easy it is to get caught up in the glimmer and luster of all those beautiful gifts. I love the gifts in pretty boxes with bright bows. I adore them. But, it's never been about the gift for me, it's always been about the person giving the gift.

Christmas is about new beginnings, about letting go of all the old ways of the past, and starting over. Christmas is about giving what we are, not what we have. It is a smile to a stranger, a helping hand to a friend, a note of inspiration, a kind word, a good laugh, and a warm hug. Christmas is the message to the world that there is love for all and that God's gift is so much greater than any pretty little box under a tree. Christmas is believing that there is more than all the earthly distractions.

This Christmas my gifts will be hard to box and wrap. Some of my friends may not even know that I gave them a gift, but I have. My children will get their Christmas wishes because their mom still believes in Santa and I've put in a good word for them.

As for mom, well, the only thing I want for Christmas is to be able to get back into my size 2 skinny jeans. Man, all this eggnog and fruitcake is brutal on a girl.

Merry Christmas
December 15, 2009

1 comment:

  1. A wise man once told me that Christmas was not about giving expensive gifts, instead it was about giving of ourselves. He was right.

    ReplyDelete