Translate

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Fast & Furious

Fast & Furious

2013 has been a year to go down in the record books; well, technically any year that we survive should go down in the record books.  However, this year has been exceptionally fast and furious.  It seems that the year just started and in the blink of an eye, it's over; boy doesn't that sound like something my grandmother would say!

I wonder how many of our new year resolutions we kept.  You know the ones that we sit down  and write out so carefully, "loose 10 pounds, exercise more, eat healthy, be a better mom,"  blah.. blah.. blah...  I for one stopped making resolutions a long time ago, find them fruitless, and well, let's see how can I phrase this tactfully, stupid.  Yes, they are stupid, and that's as tactful as I get.  Seriously, do we really need a list to remind us to be a better version of ourselves?  Not just a list but a list that we tuck away and forget about within a week and we're back to our old, "bad" habits.

"But, Lucy, there's nothing wrong with setting goals!"  My friend scolded when I voiced my theory on resolutions (among other things).  And, no there isn't anything wrong with setting goals, but goals are just that, a goal.  Now, stay with me because my brain is not necessarily "braining" today.

Goals are set as a final destination.  Something that we want and more importantly, we want to achieve.
Goals are challenges that we must overcome at all costs, not set and give up and dismiss at a whim.  Goals are real and they are achievable but with great effort.  I think sometimes we set unrealistic goals and set ourselves for failure.  Take a look at that resolution list, tell me, honestly, how many things on that list are you really going to do and how many are you just writing for the heck of if.  So why do it?  Why set yourself up for something you know you won't do!

Instead realize that in the earthly calendar (I say earthly because there are no calendars and no time in the celestial world - another topic for another blog), we have 364 days in one year.  That is a lot of days we are given to make a lot of changes!  Even when the year is fast and furious and seems to throw crap at us that we do not want to deal with, we can still do 364 things to be a better version of ourselves!

Let's break it down.  That forever item on the resolution list, "Loose 10 pounds", I know it's on there, so don't tell me it isn't!  Well, if you make one or two changes every day for 364 days, don't you think it'll happen naturally?  Of course!  We just stop.  For whatever the reason, we stop doing what we should, we let our brains take control, and all of a sudden we're back on the road to resolution hell and crashing into flames of defeat.  Okay, maybe I'm a bit dramatic, but you get the picture.

Here's the deal I'm making with you because I'm the first culprit to start and give up, I've realized how much so this year, 2013, which seemed to be like a freaking roller coaster ride from some action film which I didn't want to watch let alone be a part of.  Crazy year, the planets were just all bonkers and we here on planet earth paid the price.

The deal is just pick three things, just three things that you really want to do.  Get yourself an earthly calender, I don't have one, so I'll have to buy one... jeeze... hate those things!   Go ahead, write a list and write it on the earthly calendar, it will be your guide.  Be realistic about it.

For example, I have neglected my writing and my art.  I said I would write everyday and blog even if it's silly and no one reads it, but I haven't.  Why?  Doesn't really matter, there really isn't an excuse.  My art, if you can call it that, I haven't reached that part of my soul in years!  I keep putting it off, again, why?  Doesn't mater.  Therefore, first two things I will do this year is blog weekly; and I've committed to going to an art studio on Saturdays.  There.  And, so, that is how I will tackle my demons. One at a time.

Thing is that life speeds by way too fast and often times it lashes out, knocks us down, and beats us up a little.  That's okay, it's supposed to do that.  We need to get up, shake it off, and strike back.  Sometimes striking back just means accepting, adjusting, and embracing the changes in our life.  Sometimes, we can strike back with a smile and say, "that's it?  That's all you've got?"  But, we cannot quit, we cannot give up, and we certainly cannot accept defeat.  There is no such thing.

We buckle up, raise our hands in the air, and laugh.  We laugh as hard as we can because even though the ride may be fast and furious, we will survive it and be a much better version of ourselves.

Here's to 2014!

Cheers!

Copyright ©Lucy Tamajon 2013


2 comments:

  1. Hi Lucy, I love your blog and you should keep it up. I would like to add, that we only not keep our resolutions, but we leave everything.... and I mean everything that really matters to us for tomorrow, I don't want to be negative, because several month ago I decided, that I will wake up every morning, in a good mood and I will go to bed in a good mood, I would not give the power to anybody to get me in a bad mood, well what can I say, there has been some days that people just get to you nobody how positive you want be. About loosing weight, nope I stopped many, many moons ago making it my new years resolution, because I realized that by the end of the year I had gain weight ... Lol, I also realized that when I don't focus so much on food I loose or stay were I am and that is find, I like me, I am ok.
    I lost track of what I was going with this, but who cares, I like this, just say what's on my mind, Oh!!! I remember, if we leave everything for tomorrow or when we have time, time might not come. We need to do it today, we need to tell loves one we love them and we care, the ones we don't love much, we need to let them know we love them, even though we don't like them, and go our happy way. Why? because as you said Lucy, life speeds by way to fast!!! so enjoy the ride, Don't let a bad moment turn into a bad day!!!!, laugh, love and do what you can!!!!
    Happy 2014.

    your cous, Maria Elena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, glad you read my ramblings, thanks! Everyday above ground is a good one, no matter how challenging... that's my motto ;) Every situation is a lesson, and ultimately, life is just one big test. So, we need to just be. Every day just breathe, smile, and be grateful for having one more day on this beautiful earth. And, it is beautiful regardless of where we are. The weight thing, well that's a constant thing we all have to struggle with. Some more than others. It's about embracing and accepting ourselves "as is", and then it's doing what we like. I hate to exercise, but I love to walk outdoors, it clears my head and makes me feel relaxed. So, I need to make it a daily routine. Little things like that can help. It's all about getting through it, and if God brings us to it, He'll help us through it. Happy New Year! Here's to 2014!

      Delete