Translate

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Beam me up Scottie

I remember watching Star Trek as a kid and thinking how incredible it seemed for the Star Ship to do the things it did, it could never happen.  I know people now a days make fun of the "technology" of these shows, but we lived in different times.  And, I for one, miss the simplicity of it all.

We had no microwaves, no cell phones, no computer; hence, no internet; no cable TV as a matter of fact we had three major networks and one public channel.   We did not have any GPS; yet, we didn't need any of it, we knew exactly where we were headed and we were never bored.  Yes, yes, as my children tell me, "were there dinosaurs, too!"  Smart asses.

I miss the times when people had conversations, we've lost the beautiful art of conversation.  I walked into my house yesterday, and my son said "Mom, you've been here 20 seconds and you've said more then most say in a day!"  And, I thought, how sad.  We just don't talk anymore and share our thoughts and ideas one on one.

We sit behind a computer and post.  We post where we go, where we eat, what we eat, and create a virtual world that's cold and distant.  We can't sit through dinner without texting or emailing or whatever, as a matter of fact, we keep are smart phones right next to us "just in case".  Just in case, what?  Not quite sure. We've become so connected that we have totally disconnected from our souls.  We can see what Prince William does across an ocean, but we don't know what is going on in our own communities.  We're too connected to the world and just do not have the time to sit and have coffee with our neighbor.

We have a whole generation that cannot put a sentence together, they write bingo instead of English.  We are missing living the moment because we are so busy posting the proof that there is a moment.  Now, don't get me wrong, I think it is awesome that we are able to stay in touch with family and friends across the miles.  It's fun.  However, let's not miss site that if we are living in a virtual world, we cannot experience the beauty of the real world, and it's passing us by at the speed of light.

I for one miss the human element.  I miss long dragged out conversations about nothing.  I miss sitting at a restaurant with a friend and just looking into each others eyes instead of texting and posting.  I miss that when someone had something to say to you they picked up the phone to say it.  I remember when there was a knock on the door and you opened it and there was someone just stopping by to say "hi".  Wow!  I took it for granted then.  Now, you get a cold frivolous text which may not even be a full sentence, but, "hey". Really you don't even have 10 seconds to text a full freaking sentence.  I'm over it, but I'm wondering how this new generation born into the cold gray world of technology will interact fifty years from now when "we" the Cavemen of the 80's are gone.

"Beam me up Scottie."  No, thanks, I'll just do it the old fashion way.

Copyright ©Lucy Tamajon 2014

1 comment:

  1. Yep I git little ones that emerge themselves unto that world with IPods ....They will be machines 50 years from now cuzz....

    ReplyDelete